HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do you play games?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garrus

Garrus

Why do you play games? New3_m11

Why do you play games? Empty
PostSubject: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? EmptyThu 30 Aug 2012, 10:30 pm

IGN Article

An interesting article I found on IGN.

Why do you play games? For all the good reasons or the bad reasons?

I doubt I have an non-confronted fear of failure that I must take out on games. I don't play games to feel accomplished but I understand that may be why people play games.

I play games and like to be updated about games because I've been like this my whole life. There were periods of my life where the gaming addiction would dull, but the hobby and interest has always been there.

So yes... you?

Back to top Go down
Kaynil

Kaynil

Why do you play games? Pbucket

Decir 'perfecto' es mentir y decir 'mañana' es predecir...

PostSubject: Re: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? EmptyFri 31 Aug 2012, 5:26 am

This reminds me of a very recommended article from cracked titled "5 Creepy Ways Video Games Are Trying to Get You Addicted". Which helps you understand the reasoning behind some of the recurrent things in games we rarely stop to think.

I think it is natural that many people like in games taht they are able to do things that they can't in Real life, to escape reality a bit. I remember taht when I used to go to the GYM I'd forget about the world in that hour, and I am sure many other hobbies help people to cope and accomplish this.

It is a very nice article, not condemning gaming but simply asking us to question ourselves what moves us to do it, that is something good.

I don't know exactly why, but I might have some of that or I might just have grown up and I don't longer have the energy to play for long hours like I used to when I was a kid, kind of the same way people can't party like thy used to as they leave their young adult years. LOL!

I guess partly is because I have this weird idea that a game is kind of a contract, I want to start just because I know I can have date daily with the title until I finish it, just like a good book. Internet feels like something I'll do quickly (but I always end up lasting way more I think I will), with games I know beforehand I want to last 2 hours and I will be returning next day. It is not a bad chore but I don't want to compromise. If I don't play in a while I may end up restarting the game and if I do taht often then it will become annoying and I might decide avoid it altogether. :-B

Anyway tackling the main question, why do I play games? Because I enjoy it. There are so many different games and I enjoy the multi player experience as well as the ones meant to be solo.
I love having a good time with my friends and I like to immerse myself in different worlds. Some games have given me food for thought. It is a hobby I entered when I was little and one I haven't grown out of, nor think I'll ever do. Using your imagination and being playful does not undermine my ability to make rational, mature decisions.

I have yet to become unhealthily obsessive to videogames. (Whew)

Back to top Go down
http://comunidadzelda.com
Tiggati

Tiggati

PostSubject: Re: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? EmptySat 01 Sep 2012, 6:38 pm

I play games because they're fun, and I am in control of the character, or place.

The feeling when you reach a goal you have been working on is the best feeling, because it feels as though you accomplished something and makes you want to keep going to the next level.
Building up your character, city, clan, etc. and tackling some of the things you seen earlier in the game and actually winning is so exciting. I just love the whole idea about a game taking you to a place you wish you were. It's like you're outside doing it. I get so into my gaming.
I have to enjoy the game to play it properly, I can't just pick up a controller or mouse and play a game with my friends because they like that certain game. I need to enjoy it and feel as though that character is apart of me.

Some games are hard, and I like the challenge of trying to win them. I have been playing a game called RuneScape since it came out in 2001. RuneScape isn't hard, but it takes a long time to level your skills and get items. Patience is very important if you play RS. I have recently quit that game because they have made too many updates that ruined it. I have enjoyed my years playing RuneScape while tackling some other games on the PC and console.

All in all, games take me some place else when I play them, I like to become one with my character and feel as though I am that character or leader. It's fun to accomplish things you thought you could never do on a game. They're fun, exciting, and enjoyable.

Back to top Go down
http://www.forumers-lounge.com
Garrus

Garrus

PostSubject: Re: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? EmptySun 09 Sep 2012, 6:22 am

A lot of my friends don't understand why graphics aren't everything anymore to me. Do you think gamers are going for graphics only? Or has gameplay still maintained sway as the key factor in why games are so addictive and why gamers will keep buying and playing them?

Back to top Go down
Kaynil

Kaynil

Why do you play games? Pbucket

Decir 'perfecto' es mentir y decir 'mañana' es predecir...

PostSubject: Re: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? EmptySun 09 Sep 2012, 8:16 am

I think games are becoming a social trend nowadays. In the past videogames were a personal past time and to some extent it was frown upon, specially if you were not longer a kid. Now the issue is not whether others will accept you being a gamer, but if they will accept your choice of games.

Now we have these critics and influential people talking about games from the business point of view and a flock of people that will repeat like parrots. It is all about being HD and the best hardware specifications. Many brag about which console is the most powerful as if that guaranteed quality in gaming.

Hardcore and casual no longer simply define how much you are into games, it also defines what type of games you are into. People laugh to a Ninty fan claiming to be a hardcore (kiddy games can't be taken seriously) while other claims to be hardcore because they play this first person shooters (even if they don't spend insane amounts in the game or try to complete most of collectibles and achievements).

I don't even understand the hardcore and casual terms. I get their meaning but it is unnecessary. It like trying to define someone that does some sort of Art like that, they either like doing or not, writers are writers, it doesn't matter how many books they publish or at what pace they work, the same is for gamers. You either are into it or not, hardcore is just bragging rights to feel you are doing better when in reality you are just doing differently to other people.

Graphics... it depends in the game but it is sad for me when other people make it a requirement to be top notch even for games that doesn't really need it engage you. Of course games graphics wear off during the years, OoT looks very pixelated now in the N64 but I still play platformers in my 3DS. Realism is cool but IMO it is not everything nor all games should aim for it.

Back to top Go down
http://comunidadzelda.com
Ashera

Ashera

PostSubject: Re: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? EmptyWed 14 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm

If I recall, I play because of: mine interest into them... & also mine passion towards them all... Goldeneye, & etc, or whateva... & mine friends along with me... so yeah, thats pretty much it... or all I gotta say onto this matter here or there...

Back to top Go down
robertson123

robertson123

Welcome nice to meet you

PostSubject: I love playing games   Why do you play games? EmptyThu 15 Nov 2012, 7:32 am

Hi everyone i love playing games because if its a game your really into and your playing it for hours then its addictive and its a great way to pass the time.So yes as long as i like the game is addicitive and your enrolled in it then you cant pull yourself away from it and you must get to the end of it without hesitation.So what im saying is i like playing games simply because it gives me something to do :-D

Back to top Go down
http://www.handheldgaming.org/
Ashera

Ashera

PostSubject: Re: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? EmptyThu 15 Nov 2012, 6:02 pm

robertson123 wrote:
Hi everyone i love playing games because if its a game your really into and your playing it for hours then its addictive and its a great way to pass the time.So yes as long as i like the game is addicitive and your enrolled in it then you cant pull yourself away from it and you must get to the end of it without hesitation.So what im saying is i like playing games simply because it gives me something to do :-D
yep yep, exactly... as I do... anyways, when I got the spare time to...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do you play games?   Why do you play games? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do you play games?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1