HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Guide to CREATE a forum thinking in the long run

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaynil

Kaynil

Guide to CREATE a forum thinking in the long run Pbucket

Decir 'perfecto' es mentir y decir 'mañana' es predecir...

Guide to CREATE a forum thinking in the long run Empty
PostSubject: Guide to CREATE a forum thinking in the long run   Guide to CREATE a forum thinking in the long run EmptyTue 10 May 2011, 4:38 am

Creating a new forum
Today many web-host promises you can set up your own forum for free in minutes. I find this to be true.

In fact it is so easy that many have finally followed the impulse and created something just to see how far it could get.

This tutorial is for the people who dream to have a board for the long run but haven't created it yet. People with passion, people with the patience and the constancy to stand by the place and work for it not expecting overnight success for little work. You know this is what you want to spend your time for years, so it is worth taking your time to setting it up.

As a programmer, one of my biggest urges is to sit on the computer as soon as I get an idea and type a program draft, which I modify until I get it done. The result? It may work but it will not be efficient and chances are it will be difficult to adapt when the time to update it comes. We had to learn to use paper, and plan on paper first, having it 'working' on paper before translating into C++ or java or whatever language we would use to build it.

I believe taking this approach with the creation of your boards can benefit greatly you future community. Sure many of us already have visions of that perfect forum we want, and the itching to start is really difficult to ignore, but trust me, planning can be very satisfying when you are doing it with something you like, you will be getting to know your creation, in exchange it will feel with a better ground for you and will help you keep control of it.

Forget the Computer: It's time to grab a notebook!
By the time you start making that forum a reality it must already been decided key factors on it including its structure: You'll know what sections and in what order, you even will have a plan of growing to incorporate future areas without making it confusing for your members.

Prepare your board details in paper first. Do not jump straight to your computer.
Get a notebook and work there.

1. Define what is it going to be about.
Sure, we all have an idea what kind of topic will be discussed in our boards, but we have to know EXACTLY where it will be classified, even if that is Misc, you already know what will be about.

A forum is a time sucker, you need to be up to give effort, be motivated, patient and hard to discourage, you also will need to be a regular poster. Thus it is important that you care about the niche in question, that you like it a lot to justify in yourself the time spend on it and the constant thread starting you will need to do to keep the activity going. Choose something you like, something you feel can never grow tired of talking, something that you feel filled to talk about. A forum is after all a point of meeting for people interested in certain thing or objective.

Once you have a general idea of what you like, think if it is too general or too specific for you. being too wide doesn't necessarily get you more targets as people may get confused about if a topic they like is even included in one of your sections. Something too specific can have too little demand or conversation.However remember my words are just meant as a guide, if you have a dream follow it, so long it fills you it is worth trying. Depending the advertising, my reputation, the relevance of the content and other factors will determinate the forum's future too.

EXAMPLE:
Let's say for example I would like my forum to do with Videogames. I like Nintendo's games, specially zelda which is my favourite saga. Now try it yourself, think what is what makes you happy to talk about, that you have passion for it that know it won't change within a year. Something that fills you and write down your options.

I need to decide. My future Forum. Will it be to discuss...
A. Any videogame?
B. Nintendo games?
C. The Legend of Zelda games?
D. The Spirit Tracks game?

This is important, it doesn't mean you will exclude the rest, but it will help you know where you will have your focus. Why? Because if your Nintendo forum has more categories about computers and anime then it is very likely your visitors may get confused and the ones that are uninterested in those other topics will frown upon joining despise the forum being Nintendo because your forum fails to deliver to them what they expect.

2. Define the Main discussion categories.
There are some sections that are usual in any forum for example an area to post news, rules, feedback and the non-niche related threads. So for now I want you to focus on the ones related to whatever topic you'll forum will be about. These sections will be the core of your community, what more visitors want to be clearly on sight. usually dividing things with more detail.

Going with my options, I will try to come up with what areas would be in my boards for each option, as this will help me visualize even better which structure works the best with me.

So first I said:
A. Videogames in general:
The main section is where the people will find relevant to video-games when they visit my forums. As you can see i am trying to be neutral between Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft giving each the same amount of detail.

Either you are happy with it or something bugs you about your draft:
- If at the point you finished your draft and feel that a lot of what you wanted to discuss couldn't be placed there try to go for something more general.
- If at the point when making your draft you feel hard to keep neutral, consider taking whatever topic is asking your attention as your niche instead.

Lets suppose I am unhappy and feel like I want to give more spot light to Nintendo. Even if i was happy with the videogame idea I still recommend to try out working the other drafts to reaffirm that idea.

In this case I will reorder the categories but turning Nintendo to be the main focus.
How do I achieve it? adding more specific sections:

B. Nintendo:

As you can notice, I am already planning ahead depending on the activity of it. If people don't talk about GC or GBAdvance games I already know what I'd do, if on the contrary there are many people discussing old games I also know where to place for example, the classic Nintendo64, which would be located after the gameboy Advance.

Why not simply put a row of sections for each console? because the forum is new, and I rather have fewer sections that I know I can cover that have a forum filled with zeroes. Always keep in mind how much can you give to each section with threads as it will depend totally in you to make content when you open.

In this case I believe it is easier for me to find relevant discussion for the latest console, even though I love N64, I will leave it to classic to keep the order.

Now the other consoles, I believe it is important to have an outlet of discussion to them as many people have more than one console, but to avoid they cast shadow on Nintendo areas I will place them below Nintedo Talk. Both Sony and Microsoft will share.

As you can see the category 'Nintendo Talk' is an expanded version of what was 'Nintendo consoles' in the videogame forum. Even if the past option had more sections this would still be reduced to subsections or become as important as similar sections for Sony and Microsoft sections.

I believe you get the idea. For Zelda games, the focus could be in sections depending about what console appeared, a general zelda talk area and then others categories with less development could include Nintendo talk, or a section to talk about any other game. For Spirit Track boards, the main category would divide in say game talk, collections, wifi, characters, etc... then other category could adopt other Zelda games sections or just an in other games discussions area.

This was example only, but I hope it gives you the idea of how I define more sections for what my theme is about.

3. Plant the rest of your categories and sections
Add a Management, free talk areas and any other categories and sections you see fit to complete your board.
Other areas:

4. Thought of any good name for your place yet?
If you haven't already now it is the perfect time.
Try something that will be... easy to remember and to relate with your place. Something that most likely hasn't been chosen already.
  • Short (if it has more than one word you can try to acronym for name inside the url)
  • Easy to remember (That's why the shorter the better)
  • Easy to relate with your board theme (So it catches the attention to the right people)
  • Original (If I called my Nintendo boards "Nintendo forums" I am sure when guests tried to Google my site they would end in Nintendo Power Forums before my own.)

5. Create a Logo.
Draft an idea of your font and word location.

Computer time!

6. Forum Plataform.
Depending of your needs and possibilities choose a platform for your boards.
Spoiler:
Read the list of what they offer you if you create your boards with them.
Write those requirements that matter for you.
If possible test different providers until you feel comfortable.

7. Prepare your sections
Before anything else, prepare your board sections.

8. Create some threads
Add the rules and any guidelines your sections may need.
No need to create a thread for each section, but stablishing the base will help to see completely how layouts will affect posts.
  • Make a test thread and triple post in it for when you test later on those skins that uses two tones to separate cells and posts.

9. Test Permissions
Create a test account or have someone you trust to help you out testing as a guest, as a member and finally as a moderator your areas permissions and visibility.
  • It is great if you can keep one or two people you trust to become part of your staff already. If not, it is still cool.
  • I usually have my test account hidden from the who's online list.

10. Customize your board
Get rid of all that yells default. I usually get first a layout and then the banner.
Go to your admin panel, some options you may like may be disabled by default.

For the banner.
  • If you're not good with graphics try to get a banner generator to recreate your board name close enough to your logo idea. Later on you can upgrade it by asking in promotion boards or even making contest out of it when you already got your fanbase.

Your forum is ready and now you're ready to advertise, right? Almost.

11. Create discussion
Before you go out showing your place create some discussion. Try to create a few threads people can relate to spread around your forums. I recommend to have at least 3 threads per area.

12. Spread the word
Your boards are ready now that you have added some discussion. It is time to spread the word.
    - Social Networks.
    - Forums.
    - Blogs.
    - Make sure you don't SPAM.
    - create or have someone do for you affiliation, mini-banners and signature banners.
    - Encourage your members to contribute with their creations and ideas.
    - Encourage your members to spread the word too

13. Some Tips for the hard times
Having a forum is a responsibility. Only members that have been around for a while and have experimented bonds through your place will worry and help you out. But the majority will just complain and leave if your forum stops being active or satisfying. Also note that some members may swing through both attitudes.

Always keep in mind how are you feeling when you browse your place in a member role. If you feel bored, most likely your members does; if you can't relate to the threads, most likely your members too; if you're waiting for more threads being created... so you are the one who has to be the breaker, eventually others will follow your lead.

So make some contests, post threads often, fix the details that bugs you from your forum little by little. Keep spreading the word. Don't stop putting effort into your place.

Lastly, when I get a big changing idea, sometimes I ask for feedback, but members can be very slow or vague, no giving you the input you need. So I advise you to trust your instinct and don't be afraid to experiment. Even if you don't say it, installing something new is like a trial, if people didn't like it they will make you know. Just make sure you're listening to the majority. One person complaining as much of a scandal they can make doesn't mean it is shared by the rest. Some people just by plain hates changing, even if it is for progress and will reject it at all costs.

My friend told me once and I agree, a Forum is just as good as its members, so don't be afraid of of childish threats of someone abandoning your place, the people that stick with you in the times of need and can see your effort past their selfish desires, are the ones worth of your ears and your effort.

When you feel confused about what to do with your place, or find hard to balance your own ideals with your members suggestions, look back to the beginning of your place, what was the spark that made you start. How were you imagining your boards to be like. Appreciate the progress from that stage to this day, and try to plan accordingly to want you really want to do. It is important the board is going the way you want to, because that's what keeps your motivation and desire to nurture it going even through the hardest times.

Blend my advise to fit your needs. The only reason I numbered them was to make it easier for you to locate the tips for your reading. Thank you very much for your time. I hope you enjoyed the read.

Made specially for ForumLair.

Back to top Go down
http://comunidadzelda.com

Guide to CREATE a forum thinking in the long run

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1